Just in case there was any confusion – I do want to say I’m totally wearing a safety pin, I’m just making sure it’s not ALL that I do. And on that note, I thought I’d share with you guys my “plan” for action as it stands now.
I’m looking at paths to combat what negative could come from a Trump Presidency in 5 different avenues. I made a silly little graphic to use in a Facebook event I’ll show you here:
This is kinda my current breakdown and what I’m bringing to a local meeting so we can gather resources/ideas/ect.
1) MONITOR LEGISLATION: This is where I’m the most ignorant. What are the best ways to monitor legislation? When do we rally the troops to storm the gates? Do we wait until the final vote? Do we interject a million phone calls during the committee phases? In my group I’m hoping to find someone – a Senator or member of Congress – who can kinda coach this. What is the best way to keep an eye on things and when do we take action when we see something we don’t like?
2) INTRODUCE CANDIDATES: We all probably know someone who could (or should) actually be involved in politics. I’m hoping in our community we can find those people and help them get into the machine. This may not be necessary in your area where you already have Progressive candidates successfully getting elected, but Democrats and Alabama do not seem to mix anymore in the majority of the state.
3) MAKE OUR VOICE AVAILABLE: Many of us have the privilege of loud voices in certain circles, how do we make those voices available to those no one will listen to? I’m thinking everything from: Fixing playground equipment in city parks in poor neighborhoods to improving library function in the same neighborhoods. Maybe our local abortion clinic needs escorts? Maybe the Islamic Center is getting hate mail and we need to send a batch of supportive mail? How do we use what I like to call “Our Privileged White Lady” voices to help the disenfranchised?
4) SPREAD JOY AND LOVE: This one is easy but super-important. How do we combat the hate? In what ways can we promote love and kindness and empathy and acceptance?
5) SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS: This is both of the non-profit variety (like PFLAG and HIC and FREE2BE if you live in Huntsville) and finding business run by people on “our side” so to speak. How do we identify those businesses and make sure we’re all spending mindfully? I’m thinking supporting women-owned and minority-owned businesses but also just helping people vocal to the cause that may be seeing a negative backlash. How do we support charities that are helping the communities being hurt?
I spent last night kinda building this for a meeting we have coming up this week and I just thought I’d share. Our meeting is first a “brainstorming” type meeting using these type of approaches as a guide. Maybe you want to do something similar in your community!