We’ve been wanting to sell our house for a year now. For a lot of reasons. Let me give them to you.
- We bought this house optimistically thinking we’d need the space for any more children we might have. HA. Funny joke on my shitty uterus.
- We used our free time renovating our old house, so buying a house that needed updating to be our “forever” home seemed fine.
- Now we use our free time running/cycling/swimming and therefore have NO time for updating/renovating.
- We also have no free time for cleaning, so managing a 4,000 square foot house is just a joke.
- We no longer care about the walls around us. We used to be homebodies so those walls were important. Now they’re not, so we don’t want to waste time or money on them.
- We need to downsize. Our entire family hangs out/uses barely half of the house.
The problem is – there are a few kinda-major things that would need to be done before we sell the house. We haven’t done those yet because we haven’t had the time. So, now we’re at the point where we think we should get a real estate agent to tell us: “This is what you could sell the house for AS IS. This is what you could sell the house for if you put this effort into these projects.” I mean, I know it’s not an exact science, but just some guidance would be nice. Donnie and I have different opinions about what’s important to buyers.
The other problem is – I’m kinda embarrassed. I haven’t “deep” cleaned in years and don’t really have time to do it now. So I don’t want a real estate agent to come over until I’ve cleaned. Which I need to admit, is never going to happen.
The other problem is – I’m scared of the “selling” process. We didn’t live in our old house when it was on the market so we never had to deal with “showing” it. That part TERRIFIES ME. A good friend tried to ease my nerves by recommending we go to an independent home buyer like We Buy Houses that apparently make selling an easier process, but I’m still petrified of the whole idea of it!
SO! Can you give me some stories to ease my mind? This is what I’m looking for:
- Stories telling me how houses that haven’t been updated DO sell. We know we can’t get top dollar for it, because it has old cabinetry and old counters and popcorn ceilings. But can you reassure me that, if it’s priced reasonably enough, that someone will still buy it? Did your house with popcorn ceilings sell?
- Stories about how you managed to keep a house “showable” with pets and kids. I can’t pack up my cats whenever people come to see the house. I guess we can pack up the dog, but not the cats. Did you leave your cats in your house when it was being shown?
- Stories telling me that when you first called your real estate agent over, they didn’t judge you. Tell me they’ve seen worse. We’re going to pay to have someone deep clean it to give us a fresh start, but not yet. We’re going to wait until closer to market date. Will she judge me now? With dirty windows and baseboards?
I can’t even bring myself to call a real estate agent because the anxiety is so great. YES. I WANT OUT OF THIS HOUSE. But the anxiety keeps me from making the call. Can you help a girl out? I know selling houses is AWFUL, but maybe you can reassure me that it’s survivable. Also thinking about buying a new house and dealing with a quit claim deed form is pretty exciting though!! I can’t wait for a home which fits us all in and doesn’t need any renovations. Although selling a house can be pretty stressful, I’m really excited to see what’s to come.