Since I’ve gone back to work after my maternity leave, I’ve noticed some significant changes in my routine. Besides – you know – going to work.
- I stay up later. Now, I wouldn’t have predicted this effect because I’m waking up much earlier – 4:30am on a good morning. It turns out, I’ve started saving my chores until after the kids are in bed so that I’m not sacrificing any time with them to do something mundane, like pack my lunch for the next day.
- I get a lot more groceries on the weekends. Since the mid-week trip is not a great option now (who wants to finally get off work only to get groceries?); I do my best to get it all done on the weekends. I usually can’t get it done in one trip, because I can’t fit a week’s worth of groceries in one buggy. But, one trip Saturday and one trip Sunday and we’re usually good for the week. Usually.
- My family fights over AndyZ now. It used to be that when MrZ got home from work I was spent and more than willing to hand him AndyZ to hold. Now? I run away and hide so he can’t take him from me. Or, I at least tell him that AndyZ has some contagious disease that I’m immune to. Anything to steal some baby-holdin’ time from my husband.
- We’re more crafty, now. I’ve been trying to come up with at least one activity to do with NikkiZ every night. This fosters quality time and usually gives her something to look forward to after school. Crafts are the easy option because the stuff is always out. And I can put off putting it all up as long as I have the excuse of doing crafts again the NEXT day! Anything to allow me to be lazy!
- NikkiZ watches less TV. Shocking, I know. But – I just feel more guilty now, letting NikkiZ watch TV. She only has a few hours awake after work, why should I waste it by sitting her in front of the TV? Granted – I do still use it to entertain her while I get dinner ready or feed AndyZ. But, mostly? She doesn’t watch much anymore. Now – notice I didn’t say anything about the quantity of TV MrZ and I watch. We’re still total couch potatoes.
- The house stays cleaner longer. DUDE. I forgot how being away from the home all day keeps it CLEAN! It’s so fantastic! We don’t dirty as many dishes either! I’m only running the dishwasher every 2-3 days now instead of every day! And the toys? They aren’t thrown all around the house by bedtime! It is – by far – the best part of going back to work. Coming home to seeing the house exactly the way I left it. And do you know what that means? I spend less time picking up the house! And therefore? LESS TIME BITCHING! That’s a plus for EVERYONE.